Friday, July 21, 2006

What I Should Be Doing...

... is preparing for tomorrow's all-day planning meeting for the Summer Job, a.k.a. San Jose Shuttle Car Provider.* I'm not, because preparing in this case means planning many hours of facilitation sessions in five minute increments, where applicable. This is not a method of planning in which I am proficient, and the process is like pulling teeth. How many minutes do I allot for the analysis of sample Big Goals? How long should I plan to utilize think-pair-share strategies regarding potential teacher-basis? How much do I really care?

And it's Friday night, but I have to work tomorrow after some time not working, so today has really become Sunday night if we assign days on the basis of functionality rather than a strict interpretation of a Gregorian calendar, in which case all the previous days this week have functioned as Saturdays, thus begging the question of whether one would prefer to see a Friday turned into a Sunday, if said Friday were accompanied by at least five Saturdays.

Now I'm just completing wasting time.

How long for a whiparound on before-during-after reading strategies?

How many minutes for a Do Now on the importance of procedures to a well-run classroom?


*See, I want to take the train to work and not drive everyday. To accomplish this however, I must drive first to the train station in San Francisco and secondly from the train station in San Jose. The requires two vehicles, a mode of operations once accomplished by having a commuter friend who has since jumped ship to land of Oakland charter schools. To recap, to drive less I must have an additional vehicle. I'm thinking a motorcycle.

4 Comments:

Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

I'm now to the Sunday-after-church-is-over part of my vacation. I like your system.

As the man said:

"This ain't no party,
this ain't no disco,
this ain't no fooling around
No time for dancing,
or lovey dovey,
I ain't got time for that now...

9:20 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

That point of Sunday (mine occurs after basketball) is full of work and sadness, isn't it? And then it's Sunday-after-dark, and oh man...

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi TMAO,

Hope you'll find some avenue for your dedication to educating during the octc-training. Can't you make it more like your blog and less like a regular credentialing course..?

Hard to get away with that, maybe. Anyway, I'll be one of your students next week. Second year intern teacher; math. What would you have benefited most from learning about at that stage, do you think?

Relieved to hear that I'm not the only teacher prone to Sunday night panic attacks :)

The Pedestrian

6:08 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

The Pedestrian (Hey, is that like Iggy Pop's "The Traveler"?)

Man, we're going to be bridging the digital divide? Now I totally have to edit myself...

Never fear, I recovered and have spent much time planning and I think a rockin good time will be had by all. I have been doing serious thinking about what would be most valuable -- there's a wide range of intention and experience -- because there's no way I want to participate in something (in any capacity) that is not valuable.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home