Thursday, May 25, 2006

Dear Criminalizers and Send-Them-Backers

Maybe you should read this. A student turned it in yesterday as part of a poetry & fluency unit.


HR4437

I am an immigrant who is afraid
I see the discrimination against us
I hear the marchers in the street
I want them to succeed
I am an immigrant who is afraid

I pretend everything will be all right
I feel morose
I touch my heart
I worry one day we will be gone
I am an immigrant who is afraid

I understand they think we don't belong
I say Si Se Puede
I try to succeed and help my family
I hope to stay and fulfill my parents' dreams
I am an immigrant who is afraid

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That is an amazing poem. Thanks for sharing.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Onyx said...

That was great.

Legal immigrants should not fear. I've had to go through all the paperwork it takes to work in a foreign country and know it isn't easy.

Legal immigrants should be welcomed with open arms. The US government needs a better way of dealing with people who want to come here and work.

Now think about the stink that would happen if it was US citizens crossing the border to Canada or Mexico in droves illegally. Boggles the mind don't it?

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The American Reader: Words That Moved a Nation," Diane Ravitch, page 600

Stupid America

Stupid American, see that Chicano with a big knife in his steady hand
He doesn't want to knife you
He wants to sit on a bench and carve Christ figures
but you won't let him.

Stupid America, hear that Chicano shouting curses on the street
He is a poet without paper and pencil and since he cannot write
He will explode.

Stupid America, remember that Chicanito flunking math and English
He is a Picasso of your western states
but he will die with one thousand masterpieces
hanging only from his mind.

Abelardo 'Lalo' Delgado, 1969

Question: Wouldn't all public school students benefit from Dr. Ravitch's "American Reader?"

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home