Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Applying What They've Learned

The novella Seedfolks, by Paul Fleishman, is a series of 13 first-person narratives describing the emergence, development, and maturation of a community garden in a Cleveland ghetto. It's a good book. In the 11th chapter, Maricela, we learn the story of a 16-year old pregnant Latina. She is overcome with anger at her situation, and has directed that anger at her unborn child.

We proceed to unpack that anger, and I ask leading questions about whether it really is the child she is so angry with. A gaggle of girls immediately speak up with the assertion that she's really mad at the guy. "It's his fault," they say. All his? "His fault. He did this." Now wait a minute, I say, he wasn't alone in this situation, ya know what I mean? He wasn't the only one participating.

This stops them cold for a moment and then baby-faced V. calls out, "Mr. [TMAO], I'm visualizing!"

Then his buddy E., raises his hand: "I'm visualizing too!"

And from the back of the room, "I want to make a connection to this!"

"I can't stop visualizing!" V. says, and I'm not sure whether to be proud or horrified at what I've done.

3 Comments:

Blogger pseudostoops said...

laughing. out loud. in class. a pox on you, TMAO.

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious. Somehow they always manage to learn and remember the one thing they can use for comedy purposes... how is that?

10:17 AM  
Blogger Mike in Texas said...

Reminds me of the scene in CATCH-22 where Yossarian, about to be kicked out of the hospital, begins to imitate the guy who in the bed next to him who sees two of everything. That is, until the guy nexts to him dies.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home