Thursday, March 20, 2008

I Am Ready To Step Up (planning late-night)

It's 12:30 in the a.m. and I have to be awake in about four hours.

Later today my kids will take quizzes on vocabulary, spelling, and prepositions. One group will try to figure out the four goals of the Lewis & Clark expedition; the other will be charting the generational progression of Patricia Polacco's quilt, and later creating their own (fictional) family tree, one that projects five generations into the future, outlining the uses of the legacy they themselves will begin.

I won't be there for most of that. I've been tapped to lead the kind of rock-out, get-em-going, leave-em-fired-up assembly the POY used to roll out pretty regularly around here. I've been tapped to translate the school reform presentation we've thrown down in front of folks from all over three states into something kids can appreciate and understand. Three shows. Each grade level. I'm not really sure how this happened, but I think it was during a staff meeting where I was so knocked out on Dayquil and mucinex that I didn't know what I was getting nominated for. Now I'm sweating it a little, stuck, tired, frustrated and blogging about sweating it with the presentation half finished and the eyelids getting heavier.

I'm not the POY, and this shit is hard. I don't have the title, or the extra vertical inches; I am a teacher standing up in front of a school one grade level at a time, saying Listen: I'm gonna drop some stuff. Ya'll in the front might want to be careful -- I think it's hot. We'll find out how much cred I've got later today, how far my run extends out past the walls of room D2.

Man, I'm tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home