Friday, September 01, 2006

That Was Then, This Is Now

In pursuing the Masters I'm happy to report that so far there has been one class and yes, one reflective quick-write used to focus my thinking on a number of important issues. You may all breathe a collective sigh of relief.

As part of the aforementioned quick-write, I was asked to reflect on the manner in which I will prepare for these classes and take risks. Truth be told, a bulk of my preparation is centered around collective ownership of required texts which are stored in the male staff bathroom at the end of the C wing, down by the basketball courts (hereafter, "library"). Purchasing chimichangas at brunch, and meatball subs at lunch, allows me opportunities to visit the library and engage in further deep reading of the material at hand, while at the same time providing a corollary activity to the level of esteem I currently hold for the material I've been asked to read.

During my last tour of duty with SJSU, I think I definitely would have written this into the quick-write, at great length, and with increasingly pointed parallels made to the mental activities the authors engaged in and the biological activities that occur within the library. Last Wednesday, I did not do this. I lied. For three very bland paragraphs. And that shows professional and emotional growth. Let's all reflect on that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I love you...

All your frustrations about working in the education field is nothing compared to the frustration at the useless information they claim will be useful in your career as a teacher.

Yeah, somehow I don't think spending an hour at the beginning of the year teaching my students the "proper" way to pass papers is really going to benefit their education or motivate them to learn.

MS

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Education is beautiful!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, I've taken to lying as well in the required essays for my online credential program. It's just easier that way. Thanks goodness you have your blog upon which to exercise your creative impulse to make crass but subtle comments upon the value of these sorts of things. And an appreciative audience who shares the pain...

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home