Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Holy Crap!

I just read something assigned by an ed school that didn't make me depressed and wanting a refund. I highlighted it, and wrote no sarcastic comments in the margin. I highlighted it and it's good.

Sergiovanni, Thomas J. Moral Leadership: Getting to the Heart of School Improvement.

"Leadership as Outrage: It is the teacher's responsibility to be outraged when empowerment is abused and when purposes are ignored. Moreoever, all members of the school are obliged to show outrage when the standard falls... Adopting a no zero policy and enforcing it to the limit is one expression of leadership by outrage. It can [create] the belief that children have no right to fail." [emphasis added]

No zeroes.

No right to fail.

I'm gonna go sit on the back steps with my [reduced calorie cola product] and groove on this for a while.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Pass me a Diet Dr. Pepper, eh?

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to supplu a grade ofr a student who had no grades, enrolled late and then missed school due to a health problem. I literally have no papers for her, so I took the easy way and gave her a NG (no grade) That way she can start fresh this next 6 weeks.

I wonder if the people who spout off this stuff have ever dealt with students in their own enviroment??

Arlyss, have the DP fully loaded, with vanilla syurp it's ymmy

7:08 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

Onyx, there's always extreme examples, but at the same time, we need to recognize that grades are not a motivator for the acquisition of skills -- at least not for those who need those skills the most. Dear Student, You don't have the right to fail. You are not allowed to earn zeros. You must complete all assignments. You will be held to this, no matter what.

There's something powerful there, don't you think?

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home