Monday, April 24, 2006

Really Making Mom & Dad Happy With This One

I'm going back to school to pursue the Masters they really wish I had on the wall, next to the IB Diploma (which they framed), BA from private liberal arts college in the NorthEast (which they framed twice), TFA-completion thing (which they've mentioned reframing), and the picture of me and Barb Bush yachting in Maine. Okay, only three of those are really on the wall.

This is one of those things I know I'm supposed to do -- demonstrate my commitment to higher learning and professional development -- but I've been struggling to line up the hoops properly. That, and a generic Masters of Education from a generic school wasn't really making me all a-flutter. You get the degree to prove you can get the degree from a selective, impressive place, or you get the degree to improve your teaching. Everytime I looked into it, I came up 0-2.

This program I applied to seems different. It focuses on developing the role of teacher-leader within a school community, developing and applying collaborative systems, and redefining the leadership structure in schools away from the traditional hierarchal model to something more reflexive and horizontal. The program does not admit individuals; rather you apply as part of a school team, and much (most?) of the work is of the collaborative variety. Usually, that kind of thing makes me run for the nearest toilet, but my colleagues are so talented and intelligent we're gonna rock this one like a hurricane.

Two years and then the Masters and a preliminary admin credential, which will allow me to fulfill amended life-dream 1(a): selling-out and working as an overpaid VP in some ridiculously prosperous school district until enough savings have been amassed that I can run away to a small island nation where the dollar goes a long way, opening a small cafe and carrying on with local women.

5 Comments:

Blogger pseudostoops said...

Good for you. Which program is this?

5:14 AM  
Blogger posthipchick said...

i'm so curious; what program? does this mean you will not be teaching next year?

5:17 AM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

I'm still teaching; classes are one night a week (for manymany hours) and is designed for/ only admits (?) current teachers.

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What University runs this program? Is it possible for you to be more specific or is this a secret government-run black-ops covert teaching program like TFA?

12:04 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

H.W.C.

Naw, not quite as black-ops as TFA is (or has become). I'd like to wait until I'm formally accepted before getting into the details, so as not to jinx it.

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home