Sunday, April 16, 2006

Sizzling Hot Spring Reads

The hot new books in my class this Spring? The ones that get passed around like Packers tickets in Green Bay? The ones that spend no time on the shelf, are literally fought over during library trips and in the 8th period READ! program? The page-turners, the can't-put-it-downers, those elusive books that combine high interest material to urban youth while accommodating their relatively sub-standard independent reading level?

Judy Blume.

Fudge. SuperFudge. Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

During 8th period READ! program the other day I'm circulating, checking, and in the back corner is D. -- spiked hair, fake bling in his ear, pants sagged, the football he carries everywhere tucked under one arm -- pouring over Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. My mouth is hanging open and so big-eyed engrossed he doesn't even know I'm there.

This job gets weirder every single day.

8 Comments:

Blogger posthipchick said...

Have you read 'Are you there God? It's me, Margaret?' It's a downright good book, no matter your age! Plus, the boys are reading it to learn about periods.

I like to tell my students that Judy Blume is the most banned author in the history of the US. True. And, as you know, banned= interesting to a teenager.

There was a ton of hoopla recently about the latest edition of AYTG?IMM, because they changed the part about maxi-pads to be the kind that stick to your underwear instead of the belt kind that kids today don't understand. A lot of people were up in arms about it. Seriously.

6:29 PM  
Blogger X said...

That's hot. Has he gotten to the gory menstrual details yet?

6:57 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Jane Whiteford said...

And boobs! Are You There God.. also talks about bras, and breast development, if I am remembering correctly.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It truly is amazing what students will get into! I had no idea the _Alice_ books would be exciting for black teenagers, but they are--Judy Blume is also wildly popular and recently I had a student tell me she didn't like all those "true-life" books (the ones everyone else loves) and really wanted to read about princesses, dragons and other make-believe creatures. Apparently her favorite movie is _The Little Princess_...the one with Shirley Temple!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least it wasn't 'Forever' or 'Wifey'. 'Forever' was THE thing to read when I was in 7th grade, lol! Sheesh, I was *12*!

**embarrassed to show my age and say yes, I know what to do with the belt**

HeeHee

6:04 PM  
Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Hey, PHC? Would that stuff about periods be just a memory about now? Just kidding there. But how old am I if I remember the belt too??

9:05 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

This belt thing is creeping me out big time. Big time. Just the idea that this has become a tangible part of blog-discourse here is making the head spin.

PHC, I'm pretty sure I have read that book, although I could have just read ABOUT it, if ya know what I mean. The fact that I didn't recall the breast references M. alluded to, leads me to believe the latter.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Mike in Texas said...

How about Maniac Magee? It has gangs, abuse/neglect, alcholism, a runway and tragedy. Kids absolutely love it.

4:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home