Friday, May 09, 2008

Imagine No Barriers

Teach For America's Alumni Magazine, One Day, is sponsoring an essay contest.

"Imagine no barriers. No limits. How would you reinvent the profession of teaching?"

The deadline has already passed, so those wanting to throw down 400 words on this one are pretty much SOL -- my own 160-words-too-long submission just made it in -- but ya'll should feel free to take on the comment section with fervor.

In addition to the draconian word limit (seriously, it takes me half that to just get through an opening anecdote), I struggle with the imagine no barriers line. Cuz we've got barriers. Lot's of em. And it seems to me that such a huge part of what we do is struggle to find success within the context of those barriers, push the constraints of the barriers out as much as we can, uproot and replant the barriers a little further down the road. Now, suddenly, I've got no barriers? Who's got time to think like that?

More: (cuz I know ya'll were holding your breath)
My essay has been chosen as one of the five winners. It will run in the summer 2008 edition of One Day.

4 Comments:

Blogger KauaiMark said...

"Imagine no barriers. No limits...."

but keep it under the 400 word limit

Funny!!

12:28 AM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

Right. Exactly.

But they were real accommodating of my primadonna routine: Can I have more time? Can I have more words? Can I turn in something with a misspelled word, an omitted article, and an error in verb tense?

Thanks.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Sarah Cannon said...

Can you share your essay with us here too? Link to the article when it's live? I'm pretty sure I'll forget to check during the summer.

Thank you.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

Hi Sarah: No problem. Don't want to put the text up now because it'd be stealing their first publication rights and whatnot, but when they're ready, I'll be ready. Pow.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home