Monday, January 28, 2008

You Should Know Better

When the kids come in all abuzz from the first day of sex ed and you forget it's the first day of sex ed, and they want to know how big four centimeters are, don't argue with them about which unit of measurement they've asked you to demonstrate, and don't show them on your fingers, illustrating the difference between the respective units of measurement before once again asking if they are sure they want to see a visual example of these demensions that utilizes the metric system, and when you finally make a variety of contextual connections, walk away. Just walk away.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

This made me laugh out loud. I've been there and I'm glad we did our sex ed unit before the holidays!

4:49 AM  
Blogger ken said...

what's a centimeter?

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, heck. At least they're talking metric in sex ed. I'll anticipate the United States regaining our world status in the sciences any day now.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Jackie Ballarini said...

Reminds me of the time I was a teacher's assistant and the teacher held his hands about two inches apart and said many people think this is 6 inches.

I later told him he was lucky there were kids in the room when he said that.

He didn't get it.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Peter A. Stinson said...

Too, too funny.

Thank you.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

My thing was, What are you learning about that varies in length from four to seven centimeters?

Then I just went, "Oh."

Like, maybe that's been the problem.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awesome - I'm currently teaching High School, but I'd be interested to see what a post - SEX-ed class would feel like. Middle school certainly has a great entertainment factor!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home