Monday, January 16, 2006

Seven Things + Four Things

I just saw myself called out with one of these "meme" things; I'm not learned enough in the language of blog to understand what that means, but since I've been "tagged" twice, I'm going to combine them here:

Seven Books
Underworld, Don DeLillo
The Names, Don DeLillo
Under The Frog, Tibor Fischer
The Corrections, Jonathan Franzen
Hot Water Music, Charles Bukowski
Selected Works, T.S. Eliot
This Feels Like A Riot Looks, Kilian Betlach

Seven Movies
The Eternal Sunshine...
SLC Punk
Fight Club
Clerks
High Fidelity
Stand and Deliver
Spanglish (I can't help it...)

Seven Things I Can't Do
Avoid eating burritos
Not argue about charter schools
Sleep more than five hours/night during the week
Open boxes correctly or really use my hands for any fine motor functions -- like sausage mittens, they are
Teach the way I want and have time to write the way I want
Respond in any way to the 18 year-old girl with the professed weakness for older men who, through myspace, wanted to chat/meet with me (and is causing me to consider removing myself from the myspace world)
Provide L., J., D., R., I., and J. the education they need.

Seven Things To Do Before I Die
Wear open-collared shirts on an island nation where the dollar goes a long way
Live on the Mediterranean
Become fluent in Spanish
Publish in "Other Voices"
Get back on the figurative horse
Work as a longshoreman
Tell her the truth

Seven Things I Say Most Often
"YAR!"
"We have a lot to do and not a lot of time to do it..."
"Are you a student, or are you 75 pounds of hamburger taking up space in my desk?"
"How many hands do you have? Catch the ball with both of them..."
"Thumbs up if you..."
"Are these the actions of someone committed to go 3 in 1?"
"Charter schools successfully educate successful students, but our mandate is to target those who have not been successful: the chronic CELDT 3s, the newcomers, the SpEds, those with terrible absentee and suspension rates. Those kids are not being served by charter schools; they are rarely admitted and frequently consuled out. No, only community schools have demonstrated the willingness to work for change from the bottom up, refusing to deny opportunities for advancement to any student, regardless of attitude, aptitude, or parental involvement."

Seven Impractical Things I Think Would Be Really Cool Anyway
A helper monkey
BART or CalTrain line from my house to my school, first train leaving at 5:30 a.m., last train leaving at 7:30 p.m.
The power Evie from "Out of This World" had to make time stop briefly
All West Wing, all the time
My own a.m. call-in radio show
Mohawks
Helper monkey. Did I already say that? I want one.

Four Jobs
File clerk: The good part was they actually gave me a key and I used to come in on Saturdays and blast music and file.
Bouncer/ Door Man: I let so many underaged people drink, it's ridiculous
Coffee-shop guy: I made like $12/hour with tips, I read for class, I drank all the coffee I wanted, I traded raspberry ice tea for subs with the girls next door, I flirted with the non-fat decaf iced mocha girls, I opened the store once and promptly passed out on one of the comfy couches... best job, ever.
Institude Director, Oakland Teaching Fellows: So, uh, teaching things to adults is different than teaching things to 12 year-olds. Also, adults like pirates less. And pirate-related jokes.

Four Places You've Lived:
Pleasantville, NY*
Coral Springs, FL
Brighton, MA
San Jose, CA *

*with cul-de-sac

Four Website You Visit Daily
slate.com
espn.com
hotmail.com
lulu.com

Four T.V. Shows
Don't have T.V.

Four Favorite Foods
pad ke mao
burritos de carnitas, con todos, pero no cebolla
totinos frozen pizza, augmented with a little basil and a lot of garlic
egg rolls

Four Albums You Can't Live Without
Change Is A Sound - Strike Anywhere
Crime - Against Me
Empty Bottles, Broken Hearts - Murder City Devils
Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth

Yes. Done.


6 Comments:

Blogger ms. v. said...

thanks! sorry about the chain letter... I can't resist every once in a while... blogging about the classroom can get so serious...

4:22 PM  
Blogger "Ms. Cornelius" said...

Me too. But I had fun doing mine.

Peace out. Must go listen to new music you listed.

6:42 PM  
Blogger KB said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

I don't know, this felt a little stressful...

8:08 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

The deleted comment, for those interested, came after I somehow included my actual name. This is probably not a terribly big secret -- the intern TFA hired to research me figured it out pretty easily -- but I deleted it anyway.

9:25 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

Okay, I'm kidding about that TFA thing...

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home